Monday, March 3, 2008

The journey so far...

The flight from Amsterdam into Nairobi was lovely -- the plane was surprisingly empty. I had a whole row of seats to myself and got to stretch out and sleep for several hours. What a blessing! Especially since the overnight in Nairobi was not terribly smooth...We landed at 8:15pm and waited for the luggage to be unloaded. And we waited. And we waited. And two hours later it was announced that there was a problem with the door to the luggage compartment of the plane and they were working on it. I decided to find my driver and head to the guesthouse rather than wait around -- my flight for Rwanda would leave the next morning anyway and I could collect luggage then. When I returned that morning, I found out they never succeeded in opening the jammed door and all the luggage on the Amsterdam flight had been sent back to Amsterdam. A reasonable solution, I thought.

Luggage arrived in Rwanda one day after I did -- not bad at all.

So I've been in Kigali the past two days. It's beautiful here; such a contrast to the clogged and chaotic streets of Haiti. Here, all the lawns are well manicured (it's against the law to walk on the grass!), the traffic is light, the streets are clean, the air is cool, the hills crowded with homes and crops seem organized and orderly. It's almost eerie. I heard yesterday about a few men who'd been caught carjacking -- they were taken back to the scene of the crime to "reenact" what happened; they tried to escape and were all shot and killed. Carjacking is apparently not a big problem anymore. Reminds me of Singapore.

Now I'm back at the airport to take a quick 2-day trip to Burundi. Can't think too much, just keep moving...

1 comment:

OTRgirl said...

The image of manicured lawns and order is not the one I had of Rwanda. Obviously, things have changed since their unrest a few years ago! It sounds lovely.

The carjacking story is crazy! I could see that being an effective deterrent...