Sunday, June 3, 2007

Brake Failure

Today at church the sermon was about the importance of having a day of rest. We were, the pastor said, designed to work hard and creatively for six days and then to rest on the seventh day (not in a legalistic way, but you know what I mean). The sermon was titled, "STOP: Brake Failure." Sermons at my church are always organized into series with clever themes and catchy names. I might have enjoyed the message more had they started on time and not kept us 15 minutes later than normal -- sure it's Sunday, but I've got work to do.

The irony is that this is the same church pushing us to "read the Bible in 90 days" this summer. Start your engines...

R is making his way through the Old Testament. He announced this morning that he found the first instance of sarcasm in the Bible -- it's in Exodus. The people are complaining to Moses and they say something like, "Were there no graves in Egypt? You had to take us to the wilderness to die?!" We decided we should write a book called "The Dry Humor Guide to the Bible."

This evening, R peered over his laptop to ask me a question as I was working on my laptop: "We really should hold each other accountable to keeping Sunday as a day of rest. Don't you think?" Yes, I do. Maybe next Sunday.

1 comment:

OTRgirl said...

I also like the sarcasm when Jesus is talking to people about John the Baptist, "What did you go out into the desert to see? A man dressed in fine clothing? A reed blown by the wind?"

I actually did a real day of rest yesterday, it was amazing! I'm intending to blog about it soon, but I highly recommend the Sabbath.