Saturday, June 2, 2007

Too much

I have so much to do at work and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. There's just more tunnel. It's like the best I can hope for is to not get hit by a truck. Or maybe the best I can hope for is to get hit by a truck, just to put me out of my misery. I joke.

My brain feels like mush, like mush in the center of a great big ball of static, of pointless noise that prohibits clarity and makes rest impossible. Last night, I was working until 10:30 and I woke up this morning with plans to work for most of the day. Instead, I wound up working for maybe two hours and spent at least twice as much time thinking about working, dreading work, reading the BBC news web site, flipping through The Economist, and melting in the sun to escape my computer.

Late this afternoon we went to a bowling party for a friend who's preparing to return to Iran for the summer...He is my dear friend's boyfriend. She is struggling with the reality that in one week, she'll live (as she did last year) in fear that something terrible will happen to him, that something terrible will happen between the US and Iran, that he'll never come back, that he'll stop loving her. All unlikely (with the exception of perhaps the second item), but all out of her control. This world is so strange.

No comments: