Sunday, December 2, 2007

Prayer for the day

Note: This post is more for me than for you. Feel free not to read it. I won't be offended.

Is it wrong to title a post "prayer for the day" when it's Sunday and I'm skipping church? I have a headache but what else is new? I should be on my way to church in 10 minutes. But I am staying home. Nevertheless, I will trust that God will hear my prayer.

I have a list of things to do over the next few days, and my pragmatic prayer is that I would actually do them rather than sit around doing worthless and/or self-destructive things. I pray that I would choose life this day rather than a shadow of life. I pray for God's peace and pacing. I pray for God to hold me up so I do not fall into self-pity or talk myself into believing it is all futile. I pray for the Holy Spirit to breathe energy and hope and joy into my day so that I can go to sleep tonight and not wake up with a headache because I've been grinding my teeth. I pray that Jesus would walk with me and help me to put one foot in front of the other as I seek out the path of life and God's will.

So, back to the pragmatic...On my list:
  • Laundry (already on load #2!)
  • Study for the GRE (I decided this weekend I'd take it just in case -- picked up a study aid and realized yesterday how much fun it is to study for a test again!)
  • Attend church meeting this afternoon regarding possibility of planting a church campus in the city
  • Email directors of a couple of graduate programs I'm interested in to get their input on some specific questions I have
  • Pick up dry cleaning
  • Go grocery shopping
  • Outline objectives and broad strategy for research project I wish to undertake at work
  • Email former grad school professor to see if he'd be willing to talk to me about above project
  • Clean bathroom and vacuum

If you're still reading, don't say I didn't warn you. That's it. That's the end of the post.

1 comment:

OTRgirl said...

I've had some amazing Sundays this fall when I skipped church and spent some time alone with the Lord. It was like it was better to just BE with Him and skip all the flutter of getting ready and going to church. Usually the time of being with the Lord at church is a brief 'touch' during the 3-4 worship songs before the sermon.

Your list sounds like a wonderful mix of the day to day and the Big Picture. I love that you're excited to study. It made me smile.