Friday, June 13, 2008

A new post

I promised my mother I would make a new entry soon. She was understandably eager for a different and more interesting title when she navigated over to this page. So instead of TIRED, I will now entice readers with this latest very exciting post name.

I'm sitting at JFK airport, about two hours out from my flight to Brussels, where I'll connect to another flight that will take me to Kigali. Then I'll get in a car and head to Goma in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. I have a week of meetings in Congo followed by three days of meetings in Rwanda.

The question I'm asking myself right now is as follows: Will I contribute anything even remotely close to valuable in the next 10 days? You see, I am distracted and preoccupied with things other than our strategic plan for the Great Lakes region of Africa. Less than 10 days ago, I took a pregnancy test. It was positive.

And so the event that drives me back to the blog is very similar to what brought me here in the first place. Eighteen months ago, it was a miscarriage that caused me to seek refuge in writing (online, for whatever reason...). This time, I'm praying that the ending will be different. I'm excited and terrified and anxious and impatient. I want to know what's going to happen! How frustrating it is that the only way I'll find out is if I actually let it happen...

No comments: